Gift Planning Corner: Rental Property

Rental Property Headaches?

Rental property can be a great source of income. Many people who own rental property have watched their rental assets appreciate in value over time. Owning rental property can, however, involve management headaches from building maintenance to late night calls from tenants. At some point, you may consider selling your rental property to fund your retirement.

Your Goals:

• Receive payments during your retirement
• Avoid immediate capital gains
• Lower your taxes
• Support UM

A Smart Solution:
A flip charitable remainder unitrust (“flip-CRUT”) is a great way to make a charitable gift using appreciated rental property. It is easy to do and can offer the following benefits:

• Payments for life or for a period of years
• Immediate income tax charitable deduction
• No immediate capital gains taxes are triggered at the time the trust is funded
• You may qualify for the Montana Endowment Tax Credit
• Support UM!

Call Us!
Contact the Office of Gift Planning at 800.443.2593 if you would like more information on how a flip-CRUT could work for you.

The Office of Gift Planning does not provide tax, legal or financial advice. Please consult your own advisors to determine the potential benefits to you.